RSS Feed

http://www.wikio.com

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Paper Clay Birds & Beads

Because I can't stay focused on one new project without getting detoured by another new project, I have temporarily abandoned the bead caps for paper clay. I read about it a few weeks ago on another blog, and decided I'd finally found what I'd been looking for. Or at least a starting point for what I'd been looking for. I wish, oh how I wish I could do actual ceramics, but that's not feasible right now. Then there's polymer clay - which is loads of fun, and I used to work with it in college. But I didn't want to invest in 10 colors just to find out that I wasn't into it or my fingers aren't capable of what they once were. Paper clay works pretty much the same, in terms of sculptability, but the bonus is that it air dries, and can even be filed and carved after it's dry. Since it's white, all the painting is up to me - instead of working with a bunch of various colors of clay. I certainly have a ton of paint and brushes at my disposal. So I decided it was time to give it a shot. I really had fun with it, and it has potential to be even more fun once I work with it more. I'll definitely be more careful and detailed with practice. I also want to (new project alert!) make my own molds - not just from found objects, but from little carvings I want to create! I am really looking forward to my Christmas staycation!!!

So here are some of the results from my initial Paper Clay session!

I made the robin and the clasp.

I only made the owl. The gray beads are seeds.

I love brown and aqua together. I made the brown beads.

And the green ones.

Future jewelry parts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,

    These are really cool and different! I love your paper clay beads. Never seen anything like it. You get an A+++++ for creativity!!!

    Aloha!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi, I love your birds, they're great. Do you mean they are not fired in a kiln, just air dried and painted? If so, how strong are they? Sorry I'm anonymous for now, I need to reset my google password! Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...