RSS Feed

http://www.wikio.com

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fruitcake Put to Good Use

I spent much elbow grease and suffered several cuts on my fingers cutting up some tins this past weekend. And for my all my misery, I've got tons of bead caps & bead caps in waiting, and three finished pairs of earrings. I made the pieces pictured below into connectors rather than caps - but you get the idea. The first two come from a fruitcake tin a friend donated to my cause, and the third pair comes from my dad's massive stash of Altoids tins.

Cowboy & his boot.

These were the layers of a lady's long skirt.

Altoids.

I apologize for the sub-par photography, but with these short winter days, the only time I can catch natural light is on the weekends.

Again, I credit the amazing Lorelei for the inspiration for making bead caps out of old tins.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE these! I used to make earring out of soda cans all the time. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun with these. It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it :)

    When I was in high school, I made flowers out of my mom's empty diet coke cans. I painted them, and floral-taped them together so well, no one believed they were aluminum cans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi!
    I just found you through Lori Anderson's blog.
    I have been playing with tin like this too! I have some simple necklaces that I have worked up. I love the earrings though. You are right, it is a lot of work. But I love that I can recycle something into something beautiful! Thanks for sharing, and also your AWESOME experiments with sari silk!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely connectors and your designs really do make them justice as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I just made some more this week - they're so much fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...